Monday, January 31, 2011

Chapter 24. A Child

24

“How long have you been standing there, bella?” David asked when he saw me as he turned his head towards where I was standing.

“Not too long.” I said walking over to the bench and sat next to the old hobo.

“Were you listening to my conversation with little Henry?” he asked. I nodded, a little embarrassed to be caught eavesdropping.

“Little Henry, small at age but possess more wisdom than any adult I’ve met.” David said. “But then again, every kid is always wiser than the adults.”

“How is that possible? They are oblivious to the world.” I said.

“But their minds are open, not constructed yet, no barriers yet given from the society, schools, churches, parents and all other influences. So they are open to anything. Every thing is possible to them.

“Just imagine a kid who hasn’t been potty trained, he would do his business just about anywhere, because for him it doesn’t matter where he does it as long as he is let go of the waste. The world is a big potty-pot for him. But as he grows up and was thought that the toilet is where he is suppose to do his number twos and that it is socially humiliating to be seen naked, he starts to go to the toilet and close the door before he drop his pants and sit on the toilet seat. And just like that, the world isn’t a potty pot anymore.”

I laughed at his sentence.

“For a kid, there is no barrier, everything is possible. Even when he fails, he gets up n try it again. He is vigilant, but fear never stops his steps. That is until he was thought or exposed to what is supposedly the right reaction to failure. He learned from his surrounding that to be careful is to be fearful. He noticed that people cry and give up when they hit a little bump. He sees how failure is seen as a humiliation and was not allowed. And all the other norms that the society, religions, parents feed this kid. And so his little mind absorbed everything and he becomes more guided.”

“Are you saying that teaching the kids to be careful is wrong?”

“No bella, I did not say that. Don’t mistake being careful with being fearful. We always have to be careful, but society exposes us to fear and we tend to mix up fear with being careful.” He paused and took a deep breath.

“Sometimes we have to be that kid with no boundaries and a whole lot of inquiries. Did you hear how Henry was asking questions upon questions about that box of candy?”

I nodded. “Yes, he seems to be very curious.”

“Do the kids in your class ask you that many questions? Are they as curious about things as Henry was about the candies?”

“As a matter of fact, yes they do. But that’s what children do. They have limited idea about everything so they become curious and they find the need to find out.”

“Exactly… and are you as curious?”

I thought for a while. I did not even asked anything about those candies when I first saw them. I didn’t bother to. I thought I would eventually figure it out. I didn’t even asked David his name until the third time we met. I suddenly feel so silly.

David laughed, as though he could read my mind and was laughing at me. I feel my face flushed red. I got annoyed.

“I was curious, but I didn’t find the need to inquire cause it was obvious that they were candies and as I tasted a different one each time I take, I figured out that they have different tastes.” I said defending myself.

“Yet it never crossed your mind to ask what color has which flavor.” He mocked.

“It would have spoiled the fun.” I sulked.

“Yes, surprises are fun but sometimes some guidance would be helpful.” David smiled.

“Just like it is in life, it is no so different like climbing a mountain. When you plan to climb up a challenging mountain it would be more than helpful if you seek guidance from someone who has been to the top.

“You make and learn from your own mistakes, but you can always avoid your predecessor’s mistakes. Listen bella, to what they have to say. Listen to their stories. Listen carefully and you’ll be enlighten.” He said.

No comments:

Post a Comment