Friday, May 2, 2014

30. The End but Not The End

My flight was at 14.00 P.M., at 08.00 I was already at my favorite bar with my luggage. It was not much, a small luggage and a hand carry. I had given most of my stuffs away, things can be bought, and memories are ones irreplaceable.

I was in the middle of my breakfast when David joined me.  He ordered omelete and bacon. The bar was looking out to the sea, we ate half our meals in silent, just absorbing the beautiful aura around us.

“so...” i said when the waiter took my plate.

“so...” he said, still busy with his meal.

“I’m leaving today”

“I know...”

“Won’t see you anymore...”

“Uh huh...”

I gave up, he told me too meet up with him before my flight, I thought there was something important, but he was indifferent.

I light up a cigarette from a pack i bought the other night and smoked while i waited for him to finish his meal.

Patience bellaa...” he wiped his mouth after his last bite, at last. “is golden.”

“Did you make me wake up this early just to say that?” i said sarcastically.

He laughed his dry crispy laugh. “some part of people just don’t change, do they” he smile into my eyes. 
“Well at least you smile more often now...”

“You are more than half of the reason”

For a short while he just looked at me and smile. Then he took his precious box of candy, opened it, looked at it for a while, picked one and gestured me to open my hand.

He reached my opened palm with his fist, rested his fist on it and opened it slowly. “I choose this for you today.” He said slowly.

I saw what he had placed on my palm, it was a black colored candy. I looked at him, he nodded. I put the candy in my mouth. It had no taste, it was bland. I felt the glassy surface on my tongue, but no flavor. I raised my eyebrow at him, demanding an explanation.

“Think of your favorite moments.” He instructed.

All this time I’ve learned not to argue nor to question what David tells me, so I closed my eyes and started reminiscing the moments that were important to me. The look on my mother’s face when I entered high school, her face when she didn’t lose her diner. Ramon’s hug when I won the three legged race with him.
That exact time when I first met Daniel, his eyes locking into mind, his hand caressing my cheeks. The night he squeezed my hand and we ran away together.

The first time I tasted that cantaloupe flavored candy, David’s crispy laugh. The mornings I woke up to the thought of trying a new flavor. Mauryn’s hugs and smiles. Ramon’s voice on the phone
I smiled and sucked on the candy and somehow, in a way I could not explain, the candy tasted good, almost heavenly.

“See Bella, an occasion, a situation, a moment in life is bland...” he started, like i knew he would. “you and your feelings, your emotions defines it. You choose it to be a moment of happiness or a moment of sadness. You choose it to be your favorite moment or you least. You decide to concentrate on the positive side of it or the negative. Every moment, every incident in life is like a two sided coin, it has a negative side and a positive side to it. It is up to you which side you decide to focus on.”

“So the candy tasted good because I remembered the moments that made my heart sing?”

“No Bella, the candy is still bland, but you enjoy it nevertheless because you can only think of joy. Same as the situation, it remains still, the same. It does not move to be better nor worse, but in your eyes, your perception, it is how you want it to be.” He smiled.

“The situation, the incidence, it is at zero point, it is the pivot point. It does not move, it stays still.... everything else around it shuffle. It stays clear and non-prejudice, it is just a moment.... YOU” he emphasized on it “makes it what it means to you.”

“You see Bella, the universe gives you that much control that you yourself could choose to be happy or not to be.”

I never would have described myself as a crybaby or a teary person, but it seems lately, since i have met David, i had cried more than i had in my entire life. I felt the silent tear falling on my cheek. I wiped it off and sniffed.

“David, trust you to create a mellow moment.” I said laughing. I hugged him, real tight... he hugged me back. 

“I will miss you, your laugh and your wisdom....” i said, “and your box of candies...”
I let go of him. He shoved me the wooden box.

“I will miss you too Bella. More than you would know.” He winked. “For all you know, i could have been a fraud, but you listened to me anyway and for that, i am grateful.”

I smiled and sniffed.

“This...” he once again shoved the his box of candies into my hand until i grabbed it. “Is my token of appreciation for you.” He says. “I would not start to speculate what influence i have on you, but i certainly can thank you to be a part of my journey of life.”

“I... I can accept this... This means too much for you.” I said

“It doesn’t... not anymore. Now this box means more to you than it would be for me.” He said caressing my hair. “Use it wisely... share it, keep it to yourself, whatever you do, just remember the times we had and the things we learned.”

I couldn’t say no anymore, tears were rolling down my cheeks again and i wiped it as fast as it came but i wasn’t fast enough. David hugged me until i calmed down. When i did, i gave him a peck on the cheek and whispered “thank you”


***

1 comment: