Monday, October 14, 2013

27. It's Time

My meetings with David had always left me excited yet calmed. I smiled all the way back home while remembering his words and analyzing them as I always do.

After a quick shower, I went to the calling center and made a phone call home. That time I had the courage to talk to mom. Right after I hung up the phone I decided it was time for me to go home.

*     *     *

My sudden letter of resignation the next day surprised the school’s principal. But he also said that he knew it would have to come to that eventually. I suppose he dealt with travelers’ a lot.

I had two weeks to help find a replacement and to collect all my bits and pieces together. My flight home was booked for the day after my last day at school.

Two weeks and I’ll be home.

*       *      *

David took the news of me going home pretty well. In fact he was so glad he gave me a tight hug. He said it was time I see my family again.

He asked me if I was happy. I had no answer to that. I know deep inside that though nothing evident was changing in my day-to-day life, yet everything has changed.

I didn’t say what I was thinking out loud to David and yet as always he seemed to know what I was thinking.

He took out one candy with a peculiar color and gave it to me.

“Today, I choose for you.” He said.

The candy tasted sweet in my mouth. So sweet it was like sugar. It was too sweet and yet I didn’t want to throw it out, I like how the tasted filled my entire mouth and burst in my palate.

“Is this sugar flavored?” I asked David inquiringly while sucking on the candy.

“It’s life flavored.” He said simply. I gave him a confused look. “You’ll see.” He said.

He then changed the topic and asked me about my farewell preparation. He asked me if I was going to have a party before I leave. I told him it was probably not necessary, since there aren’t a lot of people I needed to say bye to. Perhaps I’ll just go out with Mauryn.

In between of our chat, I felt like there was a change in the taste of the candy, but I couldn’t put a finger on it so I ignored it. If there was really a change in the flavor, it was so subtle I couldn’t properly distinguish it. But somehow that taste, the new one that is similar to the old one but oddly different, was more preferable to me. It felt like it was just the perfect amount of sweetness and bitter and sour. It was like a party on my taste buds, but just enough to enjoy it and love it.


Just before the candy completely melted in my mouth David asked, “Tell me bella, what is the flavor of the candy?”

No comments:

Post a Comment