Monday, October 25, 2010

Chapter 2. Adventures


2
The next morning mom told me the bank was holding off the diner. I knew it was Rico's doing. I had enough money to buy back the diner by that time, but I knew it wouldn't work. The bank was a puppet to Rico.
I went to Rico and losing all humanity and dignity I had, I told him I would do anything for him if he let my mom have her diner. He smiled, made a phone call and took away my virginity.
I thought losing my virginity would have meant something. People made big deals about the first time, but it wasn't for me. I didn't feel like I'd lost something. For me, sleeping with Rico that night was just another experience, another adventure.
Since then, my work for Rico was no more just dealing; he sent me to spy on his rivals, sleeping with them in order to get their secrets. I was his 'sales promotion girl'; he sent me with his clients to make them 'happy'. He sent me as a bargain to the police chief. Not that it bothered me to have sex with strangers, but having to please a 50 years old donut munching bastard, was sick to the stomach.
The money I got of my job made mom and Ramon lived in comfort. Naive as they were, they believed I was working in a big company. And as far as that went, I had no intention of leaving my job. Everyday was a new adventure there.
A year after I started working with Rico, I met Daniel. He was traveling and stopped at our town for a month or two. He always had breakfast at mom's diner, that's how I knew him.
One night after a gang fight, I sneaked in to mom's diner to clean myself before I got home. Daniel saw me. He saw me with bruises and blood over my t-shirt. When he asked me what happened, I lied, just like I would have lied to mom and Ramon. I said I fell of the motorbike on the way home. He just laughed and helped me clean my wounds. Just as I was about to leave he said to me "A girl like you is worth fighting for not fighting."
At any other day I would have found that sentence degrading and I would have hated him. But perhaps it was his voice, his tone; it made me blushed.
Not long after Daniel came to town, Rico's empire fell. His people betrayed him and the law got its hands on him. The town was free from his shadow and I was out of job.
Daniel asked me to come with him on his travels and I agreed. Taking just as much as I needed to have a head start, I eloped with Daniel. I thought life was sweet and I had my fairy tale and my prince. Being with Daniel, I felt safe, protected and loved.
But that did not last long. My marriage with him was a joke to him, a time pass. As it appeared he had a fiancé waiting for him in England. He said sorry to me and claimed he thought he could leave her for me, but he realized when he met her again that he loved her and she was his soul mate. I had a choice, to go back to my hometown, back to mom and Ramon, or to travel, conquer the world. I decided on the later.

No comments:

Post a Comment