Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chapter 15. Another Chance, Another Life


15

"The taste of the candy burst on my tongue waking up all my taste buds I thought I had lost. It was sour, sweet, a little bitter and a little chili; something I have never tasted before. My eyes widened.


'Like it?' My father asked
.

'Yea.. It’s alright..' I mumbled. I looked at him and he just smiled. He picked up his glasses and book and continued reading. 

”

"The next day, I saw another colored candy and had it, I knew it was a different taste as well, can't really remember what. After the third day I realized that each color has different taste. I started noticing them, I wanted to compare the taste to the color and I wanted to know if any color comes twice. I started to look forward to having the candy of the day. Only problem was, I was either too drunk or having a bad hang over when I had those candies to actually remember their taste or color the next day. I couldn't really compare them.



"When I realized this, I felt sad. I felt empty. I made a point to taste the candy sober. Thinking that way, without any effort from myself, my drinking was lessened. I started to have meals at decent hour, sitting at the table with my parents, although we didn’t talk much...



"I was still a drunk, I drank a lot, but the memory lost were lesser. The candies became by reason to wake up, to sober up, and to look forward to another day.


"In their own quiet way, my parents gave me another chance, another life." 

His story brought a déjà-vu feeling; it was similar to how I felt about those candies, they gave me a reason to be excited about my day.



"When I had enough courage to look back, to face reality, I sat down with my father and spoke about the past. He would patiently and silently listen to my rambles to all my stories; of what I did, what I had been through since I separated from them.

"He neither judged nor mad about anything. He would just listen..."



David stopped and took a breath, "am I boring you bella?" He asked
.


"No, not at all." I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment