Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chapter 14. Family

14

David sighed. "My life went downward from then on. Alcohol, drugs and I was charged with man slaughter and arson and went to jail. My sentence was supposed to be for 20 years, but going on my second year, my dad somehow got me out of there. Being a traveler he had made a lot of contacts, powerful contacts.



"My parents took me with them and the life of traveling started again. They never asked me anything and I never told them anything. My days were gloom. I spend it sitting at the corner of the house-van, gulping down gin and hard liquor. I cried myself to sleep just to wake up to get high again."

"Every day my mother would place three plates on the dinner table, hoping I would join them at meal time, but I never did. She would clean the dishes after they have eaten but would leave my plate and the food on the table, incase I was going to eat it later. It would be late at night or in the middle of the day or early mornings that I would wake up feeling famished and eat whatever was on the table and then start drinking again.



"I didn’t notice this at first, but there was always a candy on a small desert plate by the side of my meal plate. I would eat it when I wish, sometimes I just let it be. One day, the candy that was on my table as a peculiar color, one that I don't come across often. I can’t place it in my head, it was purple yet pink, perhaps a little red. I took it and looked at it at all angle for several minutes. My father, who at that time was reading his book not far from the dinner table, dropped his book and lower his spectacles;



"'Fascinated?' he asked. I just looked at him with empty eyes. 'Eat it, tell me how it tastes.' he ordered. I looked at him as though he was crazy, I wasn’t sure if it was safe to it, but well I didn’t have anything to lose at that point so I took it and placed it in my mouth"

No comments:

Post a Comment